Read the first chapter of Demelza again, then answer the questions below.
- Who is the main character?
- Who do they live with?
- "But nothing’s going to stand between me and my inventions. Especially something as unnecessary as sleep!" - What impression do you get of Demelza when she says this on page 2?
- How do you know that Demelza is quite a devious character?
- Demelza is quite an organised character. What evidence of there on page 3 to support this?
- Describe the invention that Demelza wants to make on page 4.
- What is the closest meaning to "convincing excuse".
- What does Demelza say to suggest that she doesn’t like school?